Friday, April 19, 2013

Family tributes part 2 - Dad

     When I was 5, my favorite game in the world was known as "ask daddy."  This entailed me capturing my father's full and undivided attention at the dinner table, while proceeding to unleash every question within my young inquiring mind and demanding answers in full.  Part of little me was actually pretty curious; the other part of little me just liked the attention and hearing the sound of my own voice. Regardless, I was in awe of how he always had an answer for everything.  There was nothing he didn't know.  He faced inquiries such as "why is the sky blue?" and "why do we get sick?" always fashioning nobel prize-worthy answers.  But I remember clearly the day that I asked the trickiest of questions: "why doesn't sugarless gum blow bubbles as well as sugar gum???"

Alas, Daddy had no answer.  My world was shattered.

Now at the age of 19 I am at College being taught by a slew of PhDs, and I will still honestly tell anyone that my father is one of the most incredible minds I have ever encountered, even despite the lack of gum chemistry knowledge.  From the time he read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings to me before bed as a little girl, to the time he would sit with me for hours discussing my history readings with me when I was home-schooled, to the times I come home from college and we talk about the new wonders of academia, I mind has always been ignited by his contagious and genuine curiosity.   Through this, he has shown me that no matter what is happening or where you are in your day, there is always something to sit down and be fascinated by.  He can often be spotted with coffee reading an art book, history book, or one of just about any topic come to think of it.  Talking to him is still one of my favorite things to do, and topics range from religion and philosophy to science to politics to current events to art to history to psychology and back again; He always reminds me how important it is to ask all the questions, to assume nothing about the world around me, and walk towards everything with an open mind.  His contribution to my love of learning growing up has been greater than that of any teacher or professor.

In addition to his curiosity and smarts, I look up to his profound way of seeing the beauty and art in the world around him as well his depth of caring that I have been beyond lucky to receive as his child.  He has helped me climb mountains and helped me down rocky ledges, literally and figuratively. He researched endless data on I swear every college in the country when I was applying to schools to help me find a good place to land when I "flew the coup."  He has helped talk me through states of dismay and indecision, encouraged me, and reminded me of all the possibilities I can create for myself.  He drew me a pastel picture of my horse for my christmas present.   His smile expresses just as much love as his art.

Dear future husband/boyfriend: I require you to be at least half as amazing as my Dad.  Nothing less will suffice.

Saying goodbye after christmas break


My christmas present


On top of the first mountain I climbed 


 Our most recent mountain last summer


1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! Dad's are the best. (Also, I'm loving the Deary T-shirt :D )

    ReplyDelete